Today was Ottawa's Big Global Latch On in Nepean. The event takes place over World Breastfeeding Week (August 1-7 annually) with the goal of creating peer support and building community around breastfeeding internationally and locally.
From the Global Latch On website:
Global Big Latch On events aim to protect, promote & support breastfeeding families.
- Providing support for communities to identify and grow opportunities to provide on-going breastfeeding support and promotion in local communities.
- Raising awareness of breastfeeding support and knowledge available locally and globally.
- Helping communities positively support breastfeeding in public places.
- Making breastfeeding as normal part of day-to-day life at a local community level.
- Increasing support for women who breastfeed – women are supported by their partners, family and their communities.
- Ensuring communities have the resources to advocate for coordinated appropriate and accessible breastfeeding support services.
Organized and led by Andria Bell of Bell's Babies for the last 4 years this event has been growing yearly. The numbers for this year are still being tallied and I will update this post as soon as I have the details.
The day started out with some mingling, a children's table for colouring, face painting and exploring of local sponsors and vendors and was followed by the official latch on at 10:30am. Salsa Babies was present after for a fun dance party in the main hall with awesome music, parachute and all kinds of instruments!
Looking forward to next year already!
2017 Vendors and Sponsors
The Healing Spa
National Capital Doulas
Infinity Chiropractic and Wellness
Mommy Connections Ottawa & Area
The Moon and Two Stars
Babes and Beyond
The Nest ~ Family Massage Therapy
Breathe In Photography offers in home breastfeeding, bottle feeding and babywearing sessions year round!